Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What do you hear when you run?



On 9 out of every 10 runs, I don’t listen to music.  I love music as much as the next person - but I find it distracting (and actually a little irritating).  I’m seemingly always bored with my music library and find myself constantly clicking to the next song. It also becomes yet another thing I have to worry about before my workout  - where are my headphones, do I have the right playlist loaded, and so forth.

When I’m running outdoors, I simply prefer to focus on what I’m out there to do…run.  I like to soak up the scenery and get some much-needed “thinking” done. I do this best as the miles pass.  I’m able to tune out all of the distractions, get into a rhythm and let my mind take me wherever it wants to go.

I completely understand how many people would never run without music….I get it. And the thought of my running without music probably sounds a little crazy. Ah well, to each his own.

I do however; have an opinion about racing with music. I’m not even sure if it’s allowed but I feel that races should be without any headphones/ipods. To me, a race should be about you, your sneakers pounding the pavement and being focused on the pain of running hard!

Are there any other folks out there who prefer to run without music?

No comments:

Post a Comment