Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Damn That Little Voice In My Head


My last post mentioned that I was planning to do a local 5K and test some mental race tactics I’d read about. I don’t how else to put this other than that the experiment was a failure – disappointing….but I’m going to let it go.  As with anything in life, things don't always work out the first time you try them.

I discovered that there are essentially two mental strategies used by runners. The first is based on association - you focus on the changes in your body during the race - i.e., breathing, pain and fatigue. Focusing on these cues help you to deal with the discomfort of racing and hold your pace.  In contrast, disassociation is all about distracting oneself from these sensations. This can be done by listening to music, counting the black cars you pass, playing an alphabet game in your head and so forth.

I decided to try out the association method for my local 5K (which is how most elites approach their races)…. not that I'm considering myself elite ;-).

The first mile went well - I was feeling good and was right on pace. But during mile 2 that voice in my head began to suggest that I slow down or even walk for “a bit.”  I tried the associative technique and focused on why the voice in my head was complaining.  It was hot, humid and I was struggling to hold my target pace… I tried to remember that this was a race and it was supposed to hurt- and frankly, I wasn’t in so much pain that I should be reduced to a walk. It was only a 5k and I should have been able to push through this very brief – and expected – rough patch.

Bottom line?  I took five short walks during the last mile and a half of this 3.1mile race – finishing 35th overall, first in my age group and holding a  7:45 pace.  I lost the mental battle and ultimately talked myself out of performing my best.  Not the first time this has happened in my life.


I was disappointed….yes – but let me wrap this post on a very positive note. It turns out a friend of mine was also racing that day.  She is a remarkable woman (I mentioned her in my Goals post) and we had a lovely chat after the race. And, since I had given her an extensive list of recommendations of things to do on her recent trip to Paris, she brought me back the most beautiful butterfly scarf.   That disappointed look on my face was immediately replaced with a huge smile. 




No comments:

Post a Comment