Tuesday, June 5, 2012

RW Summer Streak Challenge


There are 152 days until the 2012 ING NYC Marathon. It sounds like a long time away but I know race day will be here sooner than I think. I have a stack of old running magazines piled up on my bedside table waiting for me to go through them to find a marathon training plan. I’m determined to follow a schedule (a first for me) and go into this race feeling prepared. My official training will start in July.

But don’t think I’m slacking off in the month of June. On the contrary, I’m using this mid year point to get some things done and take on new challenges.  The kids will be at camp for a few weeks and I’ve got a list a mile long of tasks around the house I’d like to accomplish (I'm sure my mom friends can relate to this). 

On the running front, one challenge that I’m super excited about is the Runners World Running Summer Streak 2012. Starting on Memorial Day and ending on Independence Day, Runners World challenges you to run at least 1 mile every day. That’s 38 consecutive days of running. It’s a brilliant idea because this is typically a time runners have finished spring races and are not yet ready to dive into their training for fall races. And down here in the South with the temperatures rising each day, it’s super tempting to blow off those runs.

So I’ve accepted this challenge and am happy to have 7 days behind me. It’s not easy but I’m committed to doing this. Normally, yesterday would have been a rest day for me.  By the time 7pm rolled around I really wanted to put on my pjs when the girls were putting theirs on - instead I laced up my running shoes and ran 1.3 miles. There is nothing that feels better to me than deciding to do something and sticking to it. It’s not too late to join the RW Summer Streak challenge… come suffer with join me for the remaining 30 days! Anyone up for it??

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete