Monday, June 18, 2012

What Are the Age Requirements for the Treadmill?

If you read that headline and you already know I have two small girls, you’re probably worried that I’m pushing them into running. Don’t worry, I’m adamant about not pushing them into anything and I definitely want them to be the one to discover their passions.

However, a few nights ago my 4.5 year old caught me running on the treadmill in the basement. I’m very nervous about little kids being around a treadmill so I usually don’t run on it when they’re around. But the other night I really needed to put in a short run in order to keep my commitment to running 38 days in a row (see previous post about the Runners World Streak challenge) so I snuck down to the basement while my husband watched the girls.

First, I must confess that when I am on the home treadmill I sometimes go a little crazy – in a good way. In order to pump myself up, I typically shout out some positive affirmations to myself (actually, sometimes the opposite) and do a bunch of wooo hooos.  My daughter heard all the yelling so she came downstairs to find out what was going on. I guess it looked like I was having fun because when she saw me, she smiled and declared that she too wanted to run on the treadmill.  I told her it was time for bed and we’d talk about it later. She also asked me if she could get a running ‘outfit’ like mine.

The next morning the first thing she asked me is if I’d be running on the treadmill again and that she definitely wanted to join me. My response to her was that I had read the treadmill instructions and it clearly noted that a person must be 8 years old to use it (I made this up.) She was a little disappointed but nodded and said, ‘ok, when I’m 8!’ She had a big smile on her face when I told her we still could buy her a pair of running shorts and perhaps go for a run outside.

We’ve yet to go on our first run but she’s been asking quite often. I’m excited to see what she thinks. Will she be bored? Or maybe this will be the start of a life long passion like mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment