Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Affair With A Treadmill


A friend of mine had an ongoing affair with a treadmill for over a year. Every day (and I mean EVERY day) she would go to the gym after work and do an indoor run logging many miles each night. I would tease her and suggest she to get the heck off that machine and run in the beauty of the outdoors. She never listened. Now?  I’ve eaten my words a bit as I’ve come to realize there are some great benefits to (occasionally) running on a treadmill..…..and today, actually enjoy doing so myself.

So what is it that I suddenly like about the treadmill?  Knowing my exact distance covered at any point during the workout, my pace to that point and so forth is great.   I LOVE racing against the numbers on the display. I can take one look at the data, crank up the speed and positive-talk myself (wait, did I just say that?) into going faster. I suppose I could buy one of those fancy Garmin watches to do the same thing outdoors - and probably will at some point - but until then, I plan to enjoy my newfound relationship with the treadmill.

By the way, my friend has since stopped seeing the treadmill every day… she’s now got something going on with a yoga mat.

2 comments:

  1. love your witty and funny entry. I always wondered why people would prefer a treadmill over an outdoor run, but now I know why: it is the technological advantage! Maybe I will try it out myself one day :)

    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a smart tactic to experience both forms! I know that when I run on the treadmill, I am forced to keep up a certain pace, otherwise I would slack off for sure.

    ReplyDelete