Thursday, July 19, 2012

A-Z Summer


Let’s get away from running today. Quite honestly, it’s boring to write about it all the time and I’m sure the same goes for reading about it.

We're in full summer mode and I'm feeling nostalgic about past summers and particularly those from my childhood. So to celebrate all things summer  I've compiled list of summer things that make me happy. I'm starting with A and going all the way to Z. 

A – Arnold Palmer… the perfect summer thirst quencher. I was first introduced to this drink by my oldest brother during one of our many Florida vacations.

B – Bathing suits. When I was a kid, I lived in my bathing suit. I even slept in it from time to time. I don’t think you can have too many bathing suits. I probably had 14 one summer. I was a pool rat.

C – Clambake. That would be a lobster, steamers and corn on the cob for me - extra wipes and a bib please. 

E – Edgartown. I haven’t been back to Martha’s Vineyard in so long. I can’t wait to take my girls one day.  Some of the fun things I remember about trips to the Island are ice cream at Mad Martha's and many rides on the Flying Horses Carousel in Vineyard Haven.

F – Flip flops. One of the good things about living in the South is flip flop season is much longer. It's important to have more than one pair because inevitably you can't find them from time to time.

G – Grilling time! My family's special summer meal was always corn on the cob (that we picked right out of the field in our back yard) and shish kebobs on the grill. Yum.

H – Hydrangeas. This is one of my favorite flowers. The myriad of blues in the summer and the gorgeous greens and deep purples in the Fall. Here is a picture of my friend Sharon and I lost in the hydrangeas on Nantucket.



I – Ice cream! It seems like all we ever get is frozen yogurt these days. There is no comparison. I like coffee ice cream with jimmies (in a cup).

J – for Julie! My birthday is in the summer so it of course reminds me of all the birthday parties I had as a kid. 

K – Kites.  My Dad was a big fan. Flying a kite was one of the last few things I did with him.

L – Lobster rolls or Lobstah rolls as they say back in my neck of the woods. I actually had one the other day @ JCT Kitchen here in Atlanta. It was pretty good but I wish I could have eaten it near the beach. They need to work on their buns.

M – Margarita. On the rocks with salt please -preferably after a day at the beach.

N – Nantucket. I want to be there now! Actually my dream is to live there for an extended period of time. I don't know when this wall happen but I will definitely make this happen in this lifetime. I did live there for 6 weeks one summer when I took a leave from my corporate job to work at a flower shop. It was one of the best things I've ever done. I was so tired of my job and one day while riding the subway to work I came up with the idea that I would take a leave and see what the flower world was all about.

O – Ogunquit, Maine. Just another great summer destination.

P – Ponytail. Ok you’ll probably find me in a ponytail 365 days of the year but at least it seems fitting during the summertime.

R – Rocks. When I was little I always remember going to the beach and climbing on the rocks. I haven’t been to a beach with large rocks in such a long time. Watch out for the barnacles.

S – Seashells. One of my favorite things to do on the beach is to take a walk and look for beautiful shells.

T -  Travel companions. I have a couple extra special ones. 




V – Vacations.  Many of our summer vacations were driving destinations. I’d like to try to bring back some of those ‘old school’ vacations.

W – Water ballet or synchronized swimming as some of you may prefer. I did this for 8 summers with my friends at the pool. The grand performance was always a highlight of the summer.

X  - eXtra – I struggled with an X word so I’m going to go with Extra as in indulgence for the summer time…extra salt on my margarita, extra butter with my lobster and an extra scoop on my ice cream.

Y – York Beach, Maine. This was a place my family went to all the time. I have many happy memories here. After going to the beach you can walk into town and watch the salt-water taffy being made at The Goldenrod- my favorite is the peanut butter. And I still love playing skeet ball at the arcade. Definitely on my list of places to go back to in the next few years.

Z – Zeppolis. Fried dough with powdered sugar. Nothing better. Reminds me of all the festivals in the North End.

Hope you are having a happy summer. It’ll be fall before you know it!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this! Certainly brings back fabulous memories from childhood. Hopefully you can relive them with your girls!

    ReplyDelete